Cochinita Pibil, Pork Yucatan Mexico style

Food, brothers & sisters! Glorious food!
INDYK
Ensign
Ensign

Plank owner

Cochinita Pibil, Pork Yucatan Mexico style

Post by INDYK »

I usually cook this pork roast rubbed down overnight with Adobo and other chili spices and then smothered in Tomatillo salsa cooking for 8-10 hrs. After cooking the pork is shredded and fried in lard and them served with hard and soft taco’s.

Today I will try this dish originating from Yucatan Mexico.
Traditionally wrapped in banana leaves and buried with coals, mine with be set in the cast iron and oven.

Ingredients
6 tablespoons annatto seeds
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1 3 pound boneless pork shoulder roast
2 cinnamon sticks
4 cloves garlic minced
2 cups grapefruit juice
2 cups orange juice
1/2 cup lime juice
1 bay leaf

Instructions
Using a coffee grinder or mortar and pestle finely grind annatto seeds. Combine ground annatto seeds with salt, pepper, oregano, cumin and allspice in a bowl. Rub the spice mixture into the pork, place in a large resealable plastic bag and refrigerate overnight. The following day in a skillet or comal toast the cinnamon sticks over medium-high heat 2 minutes on each side, place in a 4-5 slow cooker along with pork, garlic, grapefruit juice, orange juice, lime juice and bay leaf. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, until meat is tender. Remove pork from slow cooker, shred, and drizzle with juice and serve warm with tortillas, use for tortas.
Yeee Haww!
ThunderGod
Ensign
Ensign

Plank owner

Tempus fugit

Re: Cochinita Pibil, Pork Yucatan Mexico style

Post by ThunderGod »

As long as you don't travel through Mexico, ordering it at every restaurant... ;)
A J
Ensign
Ensign

Tempus fugit

Re: Cochinita Pibil, Pork Yucatan Mexico style

Post by A J »

Sounds good. Let us know how in turns out.