What do you feed your cats?

Where folks can talk about quiltmaking, candlecasting, embroidery, needlepoint, metal detecting, card collecting, etc
A J
Ensign
Ensign

Tempus fugit

What do you feed your cats?

Post by A J »

Barn cats:

Purina Naturals dry food. Stays filled all day long. Every night they get a scoop of (Walmart brand) "Special Kitty" pate.
nalioth
Site Admin

Plank owner

Tempus fugit

Re: What do you feed your cats?

Post by nalioth »

IAMS

An article I wrote several years ago on this subject:

Feed your dog (and cat) well @ Novarata Blog
A J
Ensign
Ensign

Tempus fugit

Post by A J »

Interesting article. I'm discussing it (she's talking. I'm listening) with my vet tech wife. She's defending her cat food choice citing the Nutricianist at Michigan State University. Sounds like she's starting to question her own argument. She's looking at the ingredients now. Just got distracted by a phone call... Her brother from Germany. Now she's turned her attention elsewhere and jabbering in German.

Sounds like you just planted a seed. :)
nalioth
Site Admin

Plank owner

Tempus fugit

Post by nalioth »

Ya wanna spend a penny, you can make your own cat food (which'll be much, much healthier than anything you can buy)

Making cat food - CatInfo.org
chillypepper
Ensign
Ensign

Tempus fugit

Post by chillypepper »

Rats. Or normally some kibbles from family dollar. I like to keep the feed the same mostly. With a treat or two every now and then. Can of chicken canned cat food, junk food for animals, you know the little sacks of treats.
bill3542
Ensign
Ensign

Plank owner

Tempus fugit

Post by bill3542 »

Special Kitty, occasionally tuna or whatever the hunter-killer cat ( Miss Kitty ) brings to the patio door.... mouse muffins, chipmunk chunks or birdie bits.
A J
Ensign
Ensign

Tempus fugit

Post by A J »

Whenever I barbecue, the cats get a little something off the grill. Although I would never start this with dogs, for outdoor cats, it works great. They stay near the house and don't wander off too far into the woods to become coyote food.
But Its A Dry Heat
Ensign
Ensign

Plank owner

Tempus fugit

Post by But Its A Dry Heat »

nalioth wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:43 pm IAMS

IAMS here also but I should probably switch to Science Diet but that shit is expensive but the last vet she said he could lose a pound or two and during the winter he will probably keep adding weight.
nalioth
Site Admin

Plank owner

Tempus fugit

Post by nalioth »

But Its A Dry Heat wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:29 pm

IAMS here also but I should probably switch to Science Diet but that shit is expensive but the last vet she said he could lose a pound or two and during the winter he will probably keep adding weight.
Is your cat a free feeder or a seefood lover ("gotta eat all I see")?

Asking cuz if they're a seefood type, it doesn't matter what you feed them - they're gonna glomp it all down (not lose weight)

You should just adjust the portions so the cat only gets the appropriate amount per day.

But Its A Dry Heat
Ensign
Ensign

Plank owner

Tempus fugit

Post by But Its A Dry Heat »

nalioth wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:33 pm
But Its A Dry Heat wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:29 pm

Is your cat a free feeder or a seefood lover ("gotta eat all I see")?

Asking cuz if they're a seefood type, it doesn't matter what you feed them - they're gonna glomp it all down (not lose weight)

You should just adjust the portions so the cat only gets the appropriate amount per day.

He is a 4 year old healthy male indoor/outdoor fixed boy who probably spends most of his time outside but his dish is inside always with dry food in it. He doesn't like moist which I think is kind of funny. This time of year he prefers being outside but during the summer not as much.