Anyone interested in a creative writing site?

Where folks can talk about quiltmaking, candlecasting, embroidery, needlepoint, metal detecting, card collecting, etc
nalioth
Site Admin

Plank owner

Tempus fugit

Anyone interested in a creative writing site?

Post by nalioth »

A friend of mine approached me about hosting a place she could post her creative writing. She'd been posting to Reddit, but recently (and belatedly) read the TOS giving the Chinese (they own Reddit) infinite license to everything posted there and wants nothing further to do with that.

Basically, it'd be a place you could post your creative writing without giving away the farm.

LMK
chillypepper
Ensign
Ensign

Tempus fugit

Re: Anyone interested in a creative writing site?

Post by chillypepper »

I do not know. As a guy with a degree i english I would love it. Instead of just talking shit, I'd have someplace I could actually write again. I'm done with writing for the newspapers. Is why I went to construction and tractor fixing. If what I wright ain't good enough then I don't need to write. But as some of you know, I can spin a yarn.
chillypepper
Ensign
Ensign

Tempus fugit

Post by chillypepper »

So is she going to post anything for me to read?

I'm working on a short. Just ain't been able to get my groove, once I'm on a roll with a story not even some pussy will keep me from writing the story.. and I like to read. So at least she's got that.
A J
Ensign
Ensign

Tempus fugit

Post by A J »

Sure, I'd be interested.

Years ago I was in a band with a dude who wrote for a local newspaper. He and I started a humorous point/counterpoint column. It was a lot of fun. Some readers didn't fully understand that we weren't serious and we'd get a lot of hate mail. In the newspaper world hate mail is good as it's an indicator of viewership.

In the end, we had a falling out, the band imploded and never saw the dude again.
chillypepper
Ensign
Ensign

Tempus fugit

Post by chillypepper »

I'm glad I'm not the only one around that wrote for newspaper. I found it distasteful. I went back to swinging hammers and laying floors.
A J
Ensign
Ensign

Tempus fugit

Post by A J »

It was just a part time gig for me. Maybe twice a month?
nalioth
Site Admin

Plank owner

Tempus fugit

Post by nalioth »

Well, I've been looking for something reddit-like, but have found nothing that will run on my hosting service.

Secondarily, I wanted something sleek & spartan, but those sorts of software require the user have a higher-than-average knowledge of web code & such.

So, it looks like it's Wordpress. A bloated & cumbersome array of shitware all stacked high, just to enable the average Joe to "rite plane eenglish" and post it.

I have an instance of MultiPress (multi-user Wordpress) wot had a few folks using it, but shuttered it after nobody logged in to it for almost a year . .

IOW, I'm not cool with providing personal web services that will go unused.

LMK
nalioth
Site Admin

Plank owner

Tempus fugit

Post by nalioth »

Funnily enough, W O R D P R E S S is so shitty & loose regarding its security that the preceding post crashed the software.

You see, there's a security daemon that runs on the server and watches for potentially malicious activity, and I guess just making a post on this discussion board with the name of the software in it was enough to bring down the safety cage (was unable to post the preceding until I disabled the security daemon)

Bluntly: W O R D P R E S S is so fucked, just typing its name is enough to trigger the security features (even on non-W O R D P R E S S software)

P.S. Having figured out the issue, the security daemon is back on patrol now.