Any treasure hunters here?

Where folks can talk about quiltmaking, candlecasting, embroidery, needlepoint, metal detecting, card collecting, etc
MI redneck
Ensign
Ensign

Plank owner

Tempus fugit

Any treasure hunters here?

Post by MI redneck »

Anyone else here an amateur treasure hunter?

Dirt fishers, Relic hunters, Beach pirates, Thrift store hounds, Bottle dump diggers, Gold and Silver seekers, Coin roll hunters, Magnet fishers, Scrappers, Precious metal recovery, Change under the couch cushion types?

Tell us about your hobby, equipment, finds, tips or tricks.

I've been dabbling in metal detecting and magnet fishing for a couple of years and I've found more than my share of junk, but have found some pretty cool, valuable and useful things as well.

A big part of my interest is local history, as well as trying to put together the story behind a find, "How did this end up here?".

"Treasure" is everywhere, if you care to seek it. It's even as easy as checking the rejection bin of a CoinStar machine. Hint: They generally reject Silver coins, and quite a few users assume anything in the rejection bin is worthless.

I'll add some some suggestions, tips and pics in the near future. In the meantime, tell us about your treasure hunting hobby!
nalioth
Site Admin

Plank owner

Tempus fugit

Re: Any treasure hunters here?

Post by nalioth »

Couch cushions, eh?
MI redneck
Ensign
Ensign

Plank owner

Tempus fugit

Post by MI redneck »

nalioth wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:23 amCouch cushions, eh?
It's only mildly rewarding, but it's pretty "low impact". :D
chillypepper
Ensign
Ensign

Tempus fugit

Post by chillypepper »

I'm a metal detecting fool. Bought a $300 detector have about $1000 into hotroding it. Just so I can go find rusty old crap.

Sorry I fucked that up the first 12 times. I finnaly figured something out.
Last edited by chillypepper on Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
chillypepper
Ensign
Ensign

Tempus fugit

Post by chillypepper »

By the way, I'm trying to get oak island guys to bring the old crew together one more time before any more of us die off. Been about 10 years since we worked together. I miss those people and working with them.

I'm the dickhead in the snake boots.
nalioth
Site Admin

Plank owner

Tempus fugit

Post by nalioth »

Are we supposed to wade through bazillions of youtube videos looking for you?
chillypepper
Ensign
Ensign

Tempus fugit

Post by chillypepper »

Fixed it. Took me an few moments.
MI redneck
Ensign
Ensign

Plank owner

Tempus fugit

Post by MI redneck »

chillypepper wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:03 am I'm a metal detecting fool. Bought a $300 detector have about $1000 into hotroding it. Just so I can go find rusty old crap.

Sorry I fucked that up the first 12 times. I finnaly figured something out.
Thanks for sharing the vid.

Tell us about your machine and mods!
chillypepper
Ensign
Ensign

Tempus fugit

Post by chillypepper »

Was a pretty basic machine. Tesoro silver umax. Added ground ballance, and frequency shifter(to keep from interference when working with other detectors close by) chipped for multiple search coils I've got 3. Though I still use the standard 8" the most. I can run the 11" if I'm out in the open and I keep the 4" in my. Leg pouch and usually just use it as a pinpointer. He did something else that boosted the depth, I ain't sure what. But it did cut my battery life down by a day. No big deal. Went from 6 days at 8 hours to 5 days at 8 hours. Single 9volt battery. He wanted to convert to a dual pack, but I'd already spent way more money than I'd planned. Didn't have any money left.
I have a jippo rifle sling on it for packing in and out. Plus a 1/2" pvc tube capped on one end for holding pinflags.

We flag everything so it can get gps located and photographed. Then goes back in the hole it came out of. mainly so that future technologies and knowledge can be used in the next generations.

And I flagrantly go over housing demos, for lead, and coins. Usually end up with lots of lost toys.
chillypepper
Ensign
Ensign

Tempus fugit

Post by chillypepper »

MI redneck wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:01 pm
"Treasure" is everywhere, if you care to seek it. It's even as easy as checking the rejection bin of a CoinStar machine. Hint: They generally reject Silver coins, and quite a few users assume anything in the rejection bin is worthless.
Okay, stupid story. Went to alsups to check my bank ballance on their ATM. Just before I put my card in I noticed what at first I thought was a pic of a 20 bill in the bottom of the tray. Then I thought can't be Cause that would considered counterfeiting.

I opened the tray, 3 $20 bills.

I ask the counter gal (everyone knows everyone here) who used the machine last. She told me someone passing through about an hour ago. Okay, I tried to do the right thing. Bought a rack of beer and gave my helper a 20 to put gas in the truck. He runs me around cause mine was dead and I ain't supposed to drive anyway.

I cant go into that filling station without looking in that damn tray soon as I go in.