Any treasure hunters here?

Where folks can talk about quiltmaking, candlecasting, embroidery, needlepoint, metal detecting, card collecting, etc
MI redneck
Ensign
Ensign

Plank owner

Tempus fugit

Re: Any treasure hunters here?

Post by MI redneck »

Cool stuff Pepper.

The tech has really improved, lots of sub $500 machines with the upgrades you describe and more, now. I'd be tickled to get 4-5 days use on 9v batt! I get an estimated 24hrs out of 6 AA's.

I hear you on the lost toys, I've found enough Matchbox cars to fill a shoe box. Even being beat up and crusty a Amish boy in the neighborhood thinks they are the coolest thing ever! Gives me a good place to recycle them.

Great story about the ATM! Beats my best CoinStar find by about $56! :)
chillypepper
Ensign
Ensign

Tempus fugit

Post by chillypepper »

The interchangable search coils was the big exspens. I took neighbors kid one day to burnt down house so we could go over the yard. Found a full set of pewter figurines that we found were from a lord of the rings Monopoly game. Land owner let the kid keep them. I thought was real cool of him. Kid keeps them on little shelf in his bedroom.
A J
Ensign
Ensign

Tempus fugit

Post by A J »

We've found a few cool things on our property. None of it especially valuable but still cool:

Indian hammer stone
Mason jars dating around the turn of the century to maybe WWI
Big collection of old glass bottles (left by previous owner)
Indian burial mound and marker tree
Old logging road from the 1890's

Out in the woods we found what looks to be a junk pile. We pulled some glass out of it last year. A lady at my previous employer (glass guru) said it could date as far back as the 1860's.
chillypepper
Ensign
Ensign

Tempus fugit

Post by chillypepper »

I'll have to drag some of my bottles out for pics. Most are tiny little perfume bottles. I like cause they don't take up much space. The bigger ones are some kinda tonic bottles I found while running tractor. Let me get a chance tho get the pics.
chillypepper
Ensign
Ensign

Tempus fugit

Post by chillypepper »

With treasure hunting is also history. I didn't even think to share before. A piece of this cuts across my parents land.

http://yrekahistory.blogspot.com/2010/1 ... 3.html?m=1
A J
Ensign
Ensign

Tempus fugit

Post by A J »

I finally dug up an old trash pile on my property. I originally thought it dated back to the 1890's. Instead; looks like only the 1940's. The clincher was a license plate that appeared to read "1938". Stuff uncovered: brass mechanical mechanism of a clock, heavy metal brackets, big steel hinge, lots of broken glass, tin can remnants, barbed wire, small pieces of cement, pieces of coal, various steel fragments and parts from an old stove. The only cool thing I found was an old 1/2 pint glass whiskey bottle and a small glass perfume bottle.

The trash pile really didn't "tell a story". The assortment of stuff was so random that it appeared to be simply someone who dumped a random pile of crap out of the back of their pickup truck as they were driving down the old (now abandoned) logging road. I was hoping it was a junk pile from a cabin, a deer camp or a logging camp. None of the stuff fit into those narratives. Also, it was far smaller than I had anticipated. Everything in the pile would have easily fit into a 55 gallon barrel with much room to spare.

Another cool find: I was walking along the road that borders my property picking up trash and found a glass Pepsi bottle from the 1970's. Not King Tut's tomb, but cool nonetheless.
chillypepper
Ensign
Ensign

Tempus fugit

Post by chillypepper »

Who was the bottle factory? Don't make a difference to me. Yet if from a local bottling works to you, may have some value to someone who's grandpa worked there.
A J
Ensign
Ensign

Tempus fugit

Post by A J »

I just looked at dates, not factories. Bottles ranged from 1960's to 1940's. Again.... None of it is worth anything. It's just junk. To me, however it's cool to find a couple 1950's era whiskey bottles in the middle of the woods.

Deer camp?
Teens sneaking booze?
Campfire with old friends?
A J
Ensign
Ensign

Tempus fugit

Post by A J »

UPDATE: The first junk pile I excavated yielded a surprising discovery. After cleaning an old glass mustard jar, we found a date on the bottom: FEB 23 15. That's 1915!
nalioth
Site Admin

Plank owner

Tempus fugit

Post by nalioth »

A J wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:17 pm UPDATE: The first junk pile I excavated yielded a surprising discovery. After cleaning an old glass mustard jar, we found a date on the bottom: FEB 23 15. That's 1915!
Ya know this board can show pix, right?