Accidentally discarded a treasure

If you can't find a more appropriate place to post, here is the great catchall
A J
Ensign
Ensign

Tempus fugit

Accidentally discarded a treasure

Post by A J »

Last year at this time, my wife and I were frantically moving our entire household 2 hours away. We accumulated 20 years of crap. It wasn't easy. Much of it was sold, donated or discarded. In the ensuing chaos, I inadvertently got rid of my late Father's set of horseshoes. My Dad was a Jedi Master of pitching horseshoes. Now that I'm thinking about competing with the dudes down at the AMVETS, I'm kinda bummed my Dad's shoes are gone.

Enter EBay! I just ordered two sets of vintage horseshoes of even better quality than my Dad's old set. They're dirt cheap. They're all made in the US and drop forged steel. They all show a little use and they all have a bit of history behind them, just like Dad's old shoes.

The next step is to PRACTICE and actually get good with pitching shoes. Dad never actually TAUGHT we how to throw shoes. But I remember his unique throw like it was yesterday. At 57 years old, it's a little late for this old dog to perform new tricks, but I got it in me.
A J
Ensign
Ensign

Tempus fugit

Re: Accidentally discarded a treasure

Post by A J »

I've never been any good at pitching horse shoes but that's all gonna change once these shoes arrive!
nalioth
Site Admin

Plank owner

Tempus fugit

Post by nalioth »

. . . and if your new career as a shoe-tosser doesn't work out, you can hang'em over your doors & windows :)
A J
Ensign
Ensign

Tempus fugit

Post by A J »

Most of the fun with any competitive sport is the smack talking, harassment, insulting comments and lame excuses. Horseshoes should be no different. No skill needed; just a big mouth and an even bigger ego. :D
A J
Ensign
Ensign

Tempus fugit

Post by A J »

Two sets of horseshoes arrived last week. The Wife took a liking to one set and declared them HERS! I cleaned up and painted the remaining set. Today I ordered another set off EBay.

My purchasing criteria:
- Used
- Drop Forged
- Made in the US
- At least 50 years old
nalioth
Site Admin

Plank owner

Tempus fugit

Post by nalioth »

Where's the pix?
A J
Ensign
Ensign

Tempus fugit

Post by A J »

nalioth wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:49 pmWhere's the pix?
You know me. I'm a photo-tard.

My second set of horse shoes arrived today. Painted them earlier today.

I stopped by the local AMVETS and tossed shoes with an old Vietnam vet. He kicked my ass but gave me some pointers.
A J
Ensign
Ensign

Tempus fugit

Post by A J »

Got a text from the local AMVETS the other day. They were short a couple warm bodies for the weekly horse shoe tournament. They teamed me up with an experienced dude and we won all three games! I had a blast! On the first game I actually scored THREE ringers!

My throw is very inconsistent. I need to spend some time pitching shoes to even begin to approach the real good players.
A J
Ensign
Ensign

Tempus fugit

Post by A J »

My horseshoe pits are built and I'm practicing about every other day. I'm trying different techniques. Just today I found a weird reverse grip that seems to suit me.

Last week I learned a valuable lesson: cover the pits when you're through. Why? Cats will use it as a litter box and you will be cleaning your shoes and hands with Odoban.
A J
Ensign
Ensign

Tempus fugit

Post by A J »

I just bought a 4-piece set of 1930's vintage horseshoes off EBay. Great condition. I snagged them for under $20 including taxes and shipping!

A small victory considering the thousands of dollars in damage sustained to me property during a recent storm. No matter what happens, it's always fun to partake in a hobby. For me: pitching horseshoes, playing drums, playing percussion, fishing etc...